Request a tour
The program caters for different ages, interests, and personalities – from mineral buffs through to school groups, shareholders, and seniors’ clubs.
This tour is an opportunity to walk behind the scenes of the Broken Hill Cobalt Project Demonstration Plant, something that is rarely opened to members of the public.
Accompanied by a knowledgeable guide, you will see the innovative metallurgical process that is extracting cobalt from pyrite to create a product that will go into batteries around the world.
- Cost: Free of charge
- Bookings: By pre-appointment only. Due to limited time slots, it is recommended that you book well in advance to secure a time. No walk-ins can be accommodated as this is a working processing plant.
- Days/Times: Tours can only take place between 09:30-3:00pm Monday – Friday.
- Duration: Tours run for a total of 1 hour with induction (15 minutes); tour and Q&A 30 minutes; sign-out (15 minutes)
- Meeting point: Front office reception desk, 14 Kanandah Road, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- Contact email: email@example.com or Tel: 08 8005 8282
- Age of the tour group: The Tour is open to everyone 12 years and older, people under 18 must be accompanied by adult/s.
- Site conditions: This tour includes stairs, some uneven surfaces, and it is not suitable for wheelchairs and mobility scooters. A moderate level of mobility is required. You must comply with all directions of the Plant Tour Guide and staff.
- What to bring: Suitable closed in walking shoes, a sunhat and drink bottle (if hot) and wet weather gear (if needed). Please note there are limited facilities on site, and we encourage visitors to bring their own water bottle.
- Weather conditions: Tours will proceed regardless of weather conditions except in the event of extreme weather (heavy rain or over 38 degs). Participants will be notified via email if the tour is cancelled.
- Parking: free street parking is available at the front of premises.
- Behaviour: Visitors displaying aggressive behaviour will be asked to leave the site.
- Photography: No photography is allowed on the tour. A location for a group photo can be organised.
- COVID- 19 protocols: The Broken Hill Cobalt Project is recognised by the NSW Government as a COVID Safe Workplace, we are committed to ensuring the safety of our staff and visitors therefore we asked that visitors follow all COVID-19 safe measures implemented at Site, these measures will vary in line with NSW Government mandates on COVID-19.